We can all see the writing on the wall at this point. Women are rising, while men are falling. In fact, women have already crossed the Rubicon in terms of education and are well on their way to becoming the richer gender, meanwhile us fellas are falling away and falling apart. We are being gradually replaced by both women (for higher-skilled jobs) as well as robots/machines/AI (for less-skilled jobs), our wages have been falling, our once-great labor unions have been torpedoed by the powerful men at the top who threw the bottom 80-90% of us under the bus, and we are thus are becoming increasingly redundant as a result.
So what should be done with all of the redundant drone males after Women finally take over? Ultimately, it will be up to the Women of the future, of course, but now is the time to start discussing the best course of action to take in both the near- and long-term. Currently, we are witnessing the death of an obsolete system, one that has been kept on life support for many years now, and sooner or later we will have to pull the plug on it. Continuing to prop up that woefully moribund system in the hopes of propping up men is clearly not a sustainable long-term solution. And while men are slowly going extinct due to deterioration of the Y-chromosome, that will take thousands of years to occur. So what to do from now until then?
As for how to defuse the ticking time bomb (think crime, violence, civil disorder, and stuff like that) that rapidly-made-redundant men would bring in the near-term, one should note how there are two circumstances in which men become particularly dangerous creatures: 1) when they have too much power (whether on an absolute basis, like the oligarchs, or relative to Women, like most ordinary men), and 2) when they are desperate for money. (The 1996 movie Fargo illustrates the perils of the latter case.) As men become increasingly redundant and un(der)employed, the first circumstance will gradually decrease while the second one will rapidly increase at least at first. And while this will likely happen before Women take over completely, it is indeed a ticking time bomb. Thus, if there are only two policies that can be implemented, they should be as follows:
- A Universal Basic Income Guarantee for all is an idea that is LONG overdue. This would eliminate or at least take the dangerous edge off of the kind of desperation that male redundancy can bring, and solve many other problems in addition.
- The Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Act, which was passed in 1978 but never fully implemented, should be revisited as a way to guarantee full employment without significantly increasing inflation. In other words, the government should create a Job Guarantee program.
- Raise the minimum wage to $15/hour in 2016 dollars, and index to inflation from then on.
- Create jobs rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure, green energy, and ecological restoration.
- Overhaul the tax code to make it simpler and more progressive, or at the very least remove perverse rewards for corporations offshoring jobs as well as hiding trillions of dollars overseas.
- Improve our education system, and make all public colleges and universities tuition-free. Do the same for trade schools as well, as plenty of young men would probably benefit more from those.
Failing that, well then I guess the redundant men of the future can go join the circus, lol. Free the animals and replace them with men--and I am only half-joking about that one. Clearly we will need to have plenty of "bread and circuses" in the future to keep the drones occupied while they party their way into extinction.